Friday, March 25, 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #1)

Carrie Ryan

Delacorte Press

Released March 10, 2009

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

GoodReads

This book has been on my to-read list for a very long time. I finally got to reading it and now I’m so happy I did. I’ve been a zombie fan for years, but the only zombie book I have read before this was The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (which I do recommend if you like zombies too). I’ve also heard mixed reviews about this book so that made me want to read it even more and decide for myself.

Since this was the first zombie book I have read, I was really anxious to see how the zombies would be set up. And I was glad that they are not romanticized or humanized. I can deal with vampires, werewolves, witches/wizards/warlocks, and faeries to be in a story like that, but not zombies. Zombies are in a class of their own. I think that would only work if the story was meant to be comical. But thankfully this story did not take that route. This is YA horror and suspense. There is romance and a love story in it, but not the way we see it in paranormal romance stories.

I loved the writing style. It flowed well, and it was poetic without trying too hard. I enjoyed how things were phrased. I also liked the characters. Mary is the main character and the narrator and I felt like she was realistic. She was strong, but she still has her faults and flaws. I liked her love interest too. I wish I could have seen more of their relationship, but of course during a zombie apocalypse there are more important things going on at the moment!

Which brings us to the story. I loved that too. Even if you think zombies aren't your "thing", there's more to the story than just monsters. It's a unique read with a lot of great qualities any YA fan could be interested in. This book is the first in a trilogy and I can't wait to see where this story goes.

If you are a zombie fan and you have not picked this up, or if it’s sitting on your shelf unread, get to it! I am really excited to read the next book in the series, so you’ll be seeing it here soon.

3 comments:

  1. I love this series :) I actually preferred the second book over the first, though. I didn't like Mary at all, so that's probably why! The series gets better and better. I can't wait for the third book to be released!
    I love zombies! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series. I've just finished the second book, and I can't wait for The Dark and Hollow Places. I have to get it soon! Great Review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read this series, though they have been on my tbr list FOREVER! I think I'll have to check it out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...